Ready?

Ready?
Let's start

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Odd Thomas Review


Would you help the 'dead'?

Odd Thomas Review – I might have said/written it before on some of my earlier reviews but this time I mean it. I highly recommend you to ‘go watch an odd guy named Odd Thomas’. Some reviews classified it as a Thriller/Horror which made me hesitant to watch at first but once I stepped out of the cinema I felt it contained more than Thriller/Horror touch. Of course it dealt with the dude who can ‘see dead people’ but it offered extra flavor by adding few other elements. I like the guy who plays Odd Thomas because his movies are usually quirky kinda flicks and this was no exception.  
Did I just 'see' what I just 'saw'?
The story begins with Odd Thomas (Anton Yelchin – see even his name is kinda Odd kan?) finding out he can ‘see dead people’ and also mythical creatures which he calls ‘Boddocks’ (I’m not sure of the spelling) which is not good because such presence means bad news for the world of the living. Those ‘Boddocks’ kinda reminded me of the ‘Dementors’ from Harry Potter series, maybe distance cousin kot! One day he bumps into a guy so foul looking and both Odd and his girlfriend, Stormy decides to name him ‘Fungus Bob’. ‘Fungus Bob’ have loads friends (read: Boddocks) and Odd sense something really bad is gonna happen to his beloved Pico Mundo town. He sets upon ‘Bob’ and just as he predicts, loads of innocent people start dying. It’s up to Odd to put his life in danger in order to save the town from total destruction.
Plenty of interesting scenes
I’ve not read the Odd Thomas book series but Anton Yelchin in my opinion played the character pretty well. He was odd-pun intended enough to convince you that he had the "psychic magnetism" gift in him. He was both adorable yet manly when the scene calls for it. His Girlfriend was damn hot for such a ‘strange guy’ who stood by him through ‘the living and the dead’. It was nice to see Willem Dafoe playing the good guy for a change after turning into Green Goblin in the Spiderman franchise. The rest of the supporting cast performed well, dead or alive. Hehehe.
In Odd we trust?
As I mentioned before, since I have not read the books, I didn’t know what to expect which was good because the twist and turn in the storyline kept me intrigued to find out what was going to happen next. The ‘Boddocks’ kinda scared me a little, I swear to God, I don’t know how I would react if I could ‘see’ those things. Most prolly play ‘blind’ all the time. There’s plenty of wit and grit to hold your attention and root for Odd to overcome the evil, not just in the form of ‘Boddocks but human ones as well. The best part for me was the curveball at the end. I honestly did not see it coming and felt bad for Odd. I truly hope there will be an awesome sequel because we get to see Thomas’s future destination and from the looks of it, it won’t get any easier for him trying to ‘help’ the dead ones at (hint hint) ‘Sin City’. Ehem ehem.

P/s - Thank you hot magazine for the tickets and merchandize!    

Love the shirt kaler!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment