Ready?

Ready?
Let's start

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Carrie Review


Got blood?

Carrie Review – I was not born when the original Carrie was out but I remember the name Sissy Spacek because she became a household name playing this ‘iconic’ (if you can call it that) character. Back then people didn’t quite understand the meaning of telekinesis. Fast forward few X-men movie generations later, I bet some of us wish we had such power to ‘kenakan’ those who hurt us one way or the other. Betul tak? Heck, I would be lying if I said didn’t want such ‘power’, not to abuse but to use it once in a while for ‘good cause’. Eehehehe
Carrie circa 1976 & Carrie in 2013
If you have not watched the cult classic, the story is about Carrie (Chloë Grace Moretz) who was born as a result of a rape incident. Her over religious mother, Margaret (Julianne Moore) tries her best to protect her daughter from the ‘evil’ around the world. This makes Carrie the odd one out at her school and she gets picked and pushed by her classmates. Even a simple incident like getting period for the first time becomes a traumatising experience for Carrie. Little by little Carrie realises she has a ‘special’ ability to make things move, break glasses and other ‘power’. All the mistreatment culminates during the prom dinner when Carrie gets invited by the school’s hot shot and chosen as the Prom Queen only to be humiliated in front of the whole school. Carrie unleashes her full force and those who bullied her gets the wrath and some of them meet their ending in a painful way possible.    
Somebody point her to the shower please...
Having watched Chloë playing the IT girl on Kick Ass before, I find it hard to associate her in such a weak role. I was looking forward for ‘Carrie’ to kick ass of those who bullied her and when the moment came it was ‘satisfying’. Amek ko! Padan muka asyik buli orang je. Ingat orang tak rasa sakit hati ke bongok?! Not that I condone such act but kalau dah selalu kena, sometime, you have to let the people taste their own medicine, betul tak? As for Julianne Moore, I can’t imagine what would I do if I had such mother, dah lama sewel kot! Nasib ler my mom is nothing like Margaret, even though we do kinda drive each other off the wall once in a while. The rest of the cast, especially the ‘kurang ajar’ classmates, they deserve all the vengeance for doing nothing while Carrie had endure so much abuse.
One remake is enough I think
This re-make will most prolly fade away after the credit role ends but still a decent watch with some update technology gadgets added in to make it more current. I’m glad I didn’t have to face such situation during my schooling years. It has a good message not to push people to their limit, with or without power. Each of us have our own story and have to learn to respect each other. If you come across anybody being a victim, don’t just stand and watch but do something to help. Even a little help would mean a lot. Let’s hope Carrie will only exist in the movie and not real life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment